Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Family Art Night at Boys & Girls Club notes

At the last minute decided to add a few more pop-up card samples for the Family Art Night at the Boys & Girls Club that took place yesterday. We had a wide selection of coloring pages, standing cut-out cards, and card-making supplies (plenty of blank card stock, child-safe scissors, and glue sticks). Once the kids started with their coloring projects, I spent much of the evening speed sketching special requests (lots of ninjas and dragons and a few popular cartoon characters) and personalized cartoon portraits. As usual, I relied upon a fresh set of Sakura Pigma Sensei pens to draw constantly at top speed with smooth bold lines. I really wish I could get their 0.6 and 1.0 mm pens in bulk, for they are great cartooning pens that sadly are yet not available in open-stock.
Among the assorted art supplies that I brought to the event, we had a set of Elmer's Squeeze 'n Brush Washable Paint-Cool Classics brush pens. While a few kids seemed to enjoy using them, they were also the messiest choice from our range of coloring options (mainly washable Crayola markers in regular and Pip-squeak format, watercolor pencils, and a portable Sketch, Color & Paint art set). I do not think I will continue using them in venues where a wash sink is not so readily available. At least the paint washed off easily enough from my hands. Note to self: Gotta remember the tub of baby wipes for outside venues.A couple of kids actually tackled the pop-up card idea and required just a bit of help at the end to attach their colored pieces to the blank pop-up cards that were prepared in advance.
This budding artist in particular spent a good part of the evening doing a great coloring job on the ninja elf coloring template. Keep on practicing and speed will develop naturally as I told most of you when you commented on how fast I could speed sketch throughout the event.

No comments: