Saturday, September 10, 2011

Couple of Art Reference Book recommendations

Greetings Grasshoppers! Just wanted to share a couple of book recommendations that I recently acquired for my own reference library. The Monster Hunter illustrations is a massive tome filled with creature and character designs that reminds me a bit of the style of the Final Fantasy series. The creative team drew inspiration from many different cultures when creating the Hunter characters of this Capcom game. This is the full review I wrote for its Amazon listing:"Just received my copy of this absolutely awesome Game Development Art book, and I'm quite pleased with the visual quality and variety of the creature and character designs featured in this massive tome. Flipping through its pages should provide hours of enjoyment and many examples of how the talented artists went about the process of creating the world and fantastical inhabitants of the Capcom game "Monster Hunter" (which I have never seen nor played). While I really appreciate the opportunity of reading the text of this book originally published in Japanese, I have to agree with my fellow reviewer that the numerous spelling and editing errors detract some from what could have been a flawless experience. Highly recommended reference book for anybody interested in creating their own monster creatures and fantasy warriors despite its lack of proper proof-reading."
The second book: Illustration School: Let's Draw Cute Animals by Sachiko Umoto is a very useful drawing guide with a distinct Japanese flair suitable for artists of all skill levels. It is packed with many step-by-step animal drawing demonstrations that are easy-to-follow. While at first glance Umoto's style might come across as deceptively simple, it is a very effective method of reducing a complex subject to the fewest lines possible while retaining its charm and appeal. Kawaii!

No comments: