Friday, January 30, 2015

Brush Alternative tool for applying acrylic paint: Empty Bingo Bottles with Dauber Tips

I
Found this stash of empty bingo bottles at the Art Center, so decided to fill them up with some acrylic paint and dilute them with some airbrush medium (1 part paint and 1 part airbrush medium) to make some paint markers for class use. To preserve the integrity of the acrylic emulsion decided to use only medium for increasing the flow properties of the paint. Diluting with water might result in spoiled paint if stored for long periods of time and a weak paint film.
I
Put them to the test with my 4 & 6 year old nephews.
I
Bingo dotters are often used with Pre-K groups since they are quick and easy to set up with minimal clean up, but the width of the marks will be as wide as the dauber applicator.
I
They are a pretty good choice for Urban/Graffiti style pieces, and to cover wide areas quickly.
I
If more control is desired, you will still need to resort to using traditional round brushes.

Just like commercial paint markers, I find it best to store these custom acrylic markers horizontally to facilitate remixing and prevent paint clogs.

Made this sample piece for class using a combination of dauber bottles and acrylic paint markers. Depending on the desired markes, they can prove an effective alternative to regular paint brushes.

No comments: